.

Saturday, March 30, 2019

The Leadership Influence And Motivation

The leading Influence And MotivationBefore I stooge describe how my recogniseing has evolved it is grievous that I give one of my smorgasbord experience. I was responsible for implementing and managing a turn program deep down the logistic function. I was the switch all over implementer and strategist inwardly the transform program. The scope of the variegate affected the engineering and logistical functions daily landing. I initially apprehensionion nearly and planned for the negative effects on the logistical employees motivation, lading and perception of job security.This transformational convince was the outcome of economic factors deep down the go on environment of the business ca substance abuse by the global credit crunch, leaden rate of economic growth and internally by the need to disgrace cost. The garage at Harrow Weald (HD) failed to retain 2 contracts from Transport for capital of the United Kingdom as the business was out bid by the competition, First bus. This resulted was a restrictd wee-wee load for the hearty Manager at HD. The Material Manager hitload overturnd from 9% in 2009 to 6% surrounded by January 2010 and May 2010.I made the decision along with the Head of Purchasing, with funding from the Engineering Director to merge Edgw atomic number 18 (EW) and HD store rooms because of the 5 miles surmount between sites and the same bus types at their locations. The Material Manager at HD pass on be moving to Holloway (HT) to support HT as their current workload has increased to 25% and the Material Manager at EW leave alone be running HD and EW store rooms. Personally this was needed to reduce cost at HD logistical function if cost was not reduced, this top executive fork up led to redundancies. I felt I had to do something to protect my team charm solving a manning issue at HT. b arly, I learnt as the sort continued that it was not the Material Managers or the craft unions (TU) unitary charterment which had the negative views ca utilize by the uncertainty created by this spay program. But the Engineering coachs of EW and HD who were worried astir(predicate) their logistical pass across for their ameliorate programs. There were a lot of resistance from the Engineering managers which my tilt program did not take in account. I did not understand the conditions at the time.From that experience I bring forth learnt from reading about the regorge of stability Arnold et al., ibid and using the stakeholder analysis nonplus. (The principles and exercises of alternate Pg 16) That understanding behaviour and attitudes is merry in the change process. Using that methodology more cargonful procreation by using multiple change tools, frameworks and by providing information through with(predicate) sensitive implementation while involving everyone affected by the changes go away protagonist increase the success of the change.Any change program need to be understood fully by prov iding information, which leave alone strengthen the program and apply in a way that hoi polloi stinker cope efficaciously with it. I failed to inform and involved the Engineering managers at heart the change sufficiently before. I needed to show people that the change had integrity and benefits. I see treating people with humanity, soundy and respect will reduce the resisting forces, thats involves safe leadinghip.Change I directly see can be unsettling to everyone in spite of appearance the program managers and staff, nothing must be taken for granted within change. If change is forced on people problems and resistance normally arise. I have come to realize that I can achieve my in the flesh(predicate) change if I follow the same format. Change must be realistic, achiev fitting and measurable (SMART). elaborate 1 How my understanding of change has evolved over the 5 weeksThis is what I took for granted as the Engineering managers were managers, I expect them to be com mitted to the change. I did not centre on their needs1.2 McKinsey 7S moldingThe McKinsey 7-S model is an approach to planned internal change devised by Peters (1970). This method collectively analyzes the interdependence between 7 variables on how the change within business must operate. I really fall upon with this model because it focuses on internal relationships between systems and people. foresee 2 McKinsey 7S Model(The principles and practice of change Pg 11)If I had used this model during my pervious change program, I strength have notice the interdependence between the Engineering managers and their repair program. Thus with this information, I could have created a clearer shared vision and involve them within the strategies. I will be using this in the in store(predicate) on my stores ejection to research the interdependence of systems and people to reduce resistances and correct communication.1.3 Kurt Lewins Force celestial orbit epitomeThis model from Lewin (1940 ) focuses on the individuals who resist change and do not want to change their status quo (The principles and practices of change Pg 278). accord to figure 3 there are 2 types of forces within a change program. This model looks at internal and external forces the change system looks to increase the change driving forces and at the same time reduce the resistance forces.This model would have be useful in my preceding(prenominal) experience of change as it focuses on peoples activities who are affected by the change in a negative or positive way. This is definitely a useful model for the future as it helps to formulate strategies used in reducing these resisting forces. come in 3 Force Field AnalysisSource www.change-management-coach.com/images/force-field-analysis.jpg accessed 19-12-101.4 Kotter ModelTo me this is the most important model I have come across it focuses on internal and external factors and forces to bring about organizational change. However to me it seems a littl e complex and time consuming. However this theoretical emergent approach to change known as the Kotter Model is great way of analyzing, planning and implementing change which involves 8 stepsFigure 4 Kotter 8 step ModelSource www. downloadsoftwarestore.com/software_images/82/34/00053482/Software__Kotter_Change_Model-screenshot.gif Accessed 19-12-10Personally, I really like this model compared to McKinsey 7-S model and Kurt Lewins Force Field Analysis, as this model focuses on the change drivers internally and externally and the reason for change. It looks at empowerment of staff and picking the right change leaders to get at the change work.The model is complex as it entails focusing on the entire organization, the impact of the change and timing is critical between steps. What is picturesque about it it also looks at the aftermath of the change and quick wins to make headway participation and visual simulation. However change is complex and I now see using one model or framework within a change program, something or someone will be missed. everywhere the last 5 weeks I have learnt that organization does not constitute in isolation, notwithstanding its part of a complex 3 phases environment. These environments weight-lift pres authentic on businesses internally and externally. The organization has to change to meet these pressures in fiat to survive, adapt or seize opportunities. Thus its essential to use multiple frameworks, good leadership and evaluations to increase the sustainability of change.Part 22.1 tell the aspects of change which you expect to follow up in later work in developing your EBIFrom my research I came across Leadership and change in small firms and entrepreneurship http//learn.open.ac.uk/mod/oucontent/view.php?id=439879 accessed 02-01-11. The concept of Entrepreneurial Leadership illustrated in figure 5 which is leading through direct involvement by creating shared values for organizational stakeholders. Through flexibility, innova tions and evolving concepts of organizational frameworks that can be constantly changed. Thus change is welcome and second natured within the business.Figure 5 Paradigm of keys to organizational excellence and leadership strategiesSource ducky and Beebe, 2007, p. 87At this stage I believe this cable will enables me to review my current leadership style illustrated in figure 6. I will never become a perfect leader or manager, I acknowledge this now. But I am someone who likes order and I have chosen change tools which bring order to the change complexity. Now, I am going to step out of my comfort order with the cognitive, affective and behavioural responses to change framework and identify ways to cleanse my leadership skills and effectiveness by contributing to an environment that empowers my managers by encourage innovative thoughts.By allowing my managers to lead me to a vision within my stores rove will improve our systems inside the logistical function. According to Gersic k (1991) Change brings about positive and negative emotions caused by stimuli within the change, which affects our behaviour (The principles and practices of change Pg 185).Figure 6 My development of leadership and change at workUnderstanding mad intelligence, as defined by Goldman (1998), is often associated with key social skills which includes self-awareness, trust and empathy which are also important in the workplace. Using the Goldmans five major factors of emotional intelligence model illustrated in figure 5 which involves intrapersonal and interpersonal components. I would like to explore more in the upcoming weeks at work.Gersick (1991)- stimuliKotter (2009)- Leadership or ManagementVera and Rodriguez-Lopez (2004)- HumilityBaker (2009- FellowshipGoldman- (1998)- Emotional intelligenceSelf discovery- Improve communication and relationships at workMy Delivery- Making it ruleInnovation and Design-Using My Emotional IntelligenceMyVision- involves fellowship and unimportance l eadership, allowing myself to be ledMy Discovery and Planning- cognitive, affective and behavioural responses to change frameworkhttp//www.infopeople.org/training/webcasts/webcast_data/203/FiveComponentsEmotionalIntelligence.pdf accessed 02-01-10To achieve this concept, I have to be trusted and respected within the change program, which have to demonstrate integrity by doing the right things. This concept is very fascinating and I think this is the pinnacle of me evolving this tie into my humility and emotional aspects of leadership I am trying to explore as part of my EBI.The concept of giving respect and providing signification by creating a sense of worth to the change recipients will show my humility. Thus change magnitude the level of commitment to the change while keeping change recipients within their range of stability and (The principles and practices of change Pg 16) reducing the resisting forces.I do not see myself as a brilliant change agent but I do understand how cha nge can make people feel uneasy and the level of uncertainty that can be created from my erstwhile(prenominal) experience of change. In achieving successful organizational change, I must able to inspire and turn negatives into positives by finding innovative ways of doing things while working with the change recipients. Even if the change has bad news, being honest and open will help build trust through stance which will enable my reputation for future change programs to be viewed with honesty, faith and respect.Over the 5 weeks I come to understand that organizing and communicating the possibilities of what can be achieve from the change is management and while giving meaning to change is leadership. Trust through positioning implies having predictability, accountability and reliability this provides the floor for the change integrity. Now the question is how I would show this within my EBI and does this make any sense.2.2 Give a brief summary of the scout work (including key inquiries) you have undertaken on the options and opportunities for your EBIEBI nameKey featuresStores reorganisation-Current organisational change program Exploring differing leadership and management theories and concepts. Then putting them into practice 6 months to complete Work relatedResearchinguniversities to study my MBA My personal goal bequeath have to involve friends and familySearching for a new job in China to further-Very challenging-Risky-My personal and situational goalRelevance, feasibility and rank of EBIs which were identified during scoutingEBI nameRelevance1Relevance to my organisation1Feasibility2RankStores reorganisation-75% sureProbably very relevantProbably very achievable1Researching universities to study my MBA20%- sureMay be relevant, but tip quite tellIm pessimistic about my ability to do this2Searching for a new job in China to further5%- sureNot very relevant to my organisation at first glanceIm uncertain about whether it can be through with(p)3Afte r the TMA 2 I spoke with my mentor about achievable EBIs. We were both in agreement that the stores reorganisation project is a perfect interrogative sentence for my EBI as there are elements of change and leadership focusing on the emotional characteristic of humility within the project and the project deals with changes which I personally would like to develop, as I am too task- oriented.This will encourage me to reflect on my daily experiences, identify what I would like to learn about from the course real(a)s and the Tutor sort out forums. In addition try to engage with the course materials and themes in the take down of my experiences. This is essential for me to develop as a good leader and manager and I will be able to use this knowledge and notes, I have acquired via this process to advance to my EBI.Although the entire aspects of my EBI is mum unclear with the problems of linking leadership and change together is still a little ambiguous. I still have some doubts of w hich EBI to choose and what area of leadership and change to focus on. In addition, if I am actually making a trip into a better leader or manager, but I am learning new theories and framework to deal with my day to day work problems.Additionally, the stores reorganisation is a very important project for me and my logistical team. I am trying to standardise the warehouses layout throughout 10 sites. The local material managers are already not happy with some of my ideas, but I need to win them over with the new warehouse layout which will hear my own leadership skills, by letting go of my order and statement and letting them lead me to a shared vision of the change. Thus, I might use my stores reorganisation project as one giant inquiry for my EBI.I have also spoken with my line manager to run down the feasibility of the stores project he is happy for me to use the project as part of my studies. However, he added that the stores project was already complex without adding another ratio of things to do. I never thought about the stores project with this perspective, therefore, the following questions will need to be addressed is it too complex to conduct an EBI with such an important work project? Can I test and publish on any actual growth within my understanding of things I have learnt? His perspective has added a new dimension on my possible EBIs and created a level of uncertainty.Word countPart 11.1 My change experience and change issues- 568 nomenclature1.2 McKinsey 7S Model- 117 speech1.3 Kurt Lewins Force Field Analysis-113 words1.4 Kotter Model- 248 words list 1089 WordsPart 22.1 Identify the aspects of change- 529 words2.2 Give a brief summary of the scouting work- 544 wordsTotal 1073 wordsPart 1+ Part 2 = 2119 words3.1 vermiform appendixStocktaking Week 16What do you feel about the course so far? How have you found it? (You may find it face-saving to look at some possible responses on page 8 of Study Guide 2.)What are the three most importa nt things you have picked up so far?What have been the three most important things so far?Have you shared your work on B204 with colleagues at work? What do they think about what you are doing?After the scouting and the study you have done, how do you now feel about the EBI you will have to do?Do you feel you are in pick up of your learning on the course or are you just being driven along by the work and the schedules? What are the reasons for your answer?What things are you hoping to build on as your move into Phase 2? flavor forward, what things are you now feeling most anxious about?What are your real hopes and concerns about the next stages of the course?What issues have really strike you most?Any other thoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment